Use this list of free counseling resources to help you work with kids and young adults. Whether you are a school counselor, outside therapist, psychologist, social worker, or special educator, many of these resources can help you as you work with kids to meet their individual goals. Free resources include printable materials, websites, Pinterest boards to follow, apps, and videos.
– Free Printable Resources –
1. 100 Free Coping Strategies List – A 2-page printable with 100 coping strategies.
2. Social Scenario Problem Solving Task Cards – Task cards that highlight social scenarios and situations for kids to solve.
3. Growth Mindset Task Cards – Task cards that help teach hard work, persistence, grit, dedication, and a positive mindset.
4. 101 Free Positive Affirmations List – A 2-page printable list with 101 positive statements for kids to read.
5. Think Feel Act Worksheets – Free worksheets to help explain the relationship between thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
6. Power of Yet Posters – Three simple posters that encourage hard work and dedication.
7. Free Trauma Toolkit – Worksheets and lessons to help kids and young adults cope with trauma.
8. Free Coping Strategies Notebook – Use this resource to help kids set up their own individualized coping strategies binders.
9. Mindfulness Coloring Pages – Free mindfulness coloring pages with positive sayings.
10. Daily Planner Page – A few simple pages to help keep you on track for the day.
11. Middle School Keys to Success – Worksheet and activity to help kids succeed at middle school.
12. Conversation Starter Cards – Mix of questions regarding self, home, friends, school, family, and more to get to know kids.
13. All About Me – Free 1-page worksheet for kids to share interesting facts about themselves.
14. Free Divorce Worksheets – Information explaining what divorce means for kids and families.
15. What Pushes Your Buttons: Anger Triggers – Checklist of possible triggers for anger.
16. Anger Management Worksheets – Printables including anger trigger worksheets and an anger log.
17. Free Positive Posters – Set of 8 simple posters to help encourage, calm, and soothe kids.
18. Break Cards – Three sets of break cards that encourage kids to take breaks in positive ways.
19. How Big Is My Problem? Task Cards – Task cards that help kids determine how “big” each problem is in a variety of scenarios.
20. Life-Skills Discussion Checklist – Checklist to survey young adults and help determine areas to talk about for support.
21. Free Executive Functioning Workbook – Guide and workbook to help teach kids executive functioning and study skills.
22. Self Esteem Bookmarks – Bookmarks for kids to color while helping them learn positive self-talk and a growth mindset.
23. Counseling Planning Forms – Free worksheets to help you organize and plan counseling sessions.
24. Gratitude Activities – Worksheets and activities to help focus on gratitude and positive thinking.
– Free Apps –
25. Headspace: Guided Meditation & Mindfulness – This app provides meditation exercises with a coach that helps you learn as you go.
26. The Mindfulness App – A mindfulness app that helps you become more present in your daily life with guided and silent meditation sessions.
27. Aware – This app leads you through daily mindfulness meditation techniques, including energizing activities and breathing practice.
28. Stop Breathe & Think: Meditate – Tailored to your specific emotions, this app helps you take a break and reduce stress through meditation.
29. MyCalmBeat – This app provides training and practice in slow, deep breathing for stress reduction.
30. Breathe – An app that assists in controlling your breathing.
31. Gratitude Journal – This app helps you focus on the positive by identifying what you are thankful for each day.
32. Pacifica – Stress & Anxiety – Tools for mindfulness, meditation, relaxation, and health/mood tracking.
33. Affirmation Reminder – Select from a list of positive affirmations or make your own to add as reminders.
34. ColorMe – Free coloring app to help reduce stress.
35. Relax Melodies – Free app with white noise and calming sounds for sleeping and meditation.
36. The Calm Clinic – Website with articles specifically focused on anxiety.
37. National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teens – Lots of free resources and information for parents, educators, counselors, and teens themselves.
38. Love Is Respect – Website that teaches young adults about health relationships.
39. PsychCentral – Detailed information, resources, and articles on a number of mental health disorders and disabilities.
40. American Psychological Association – Large assortment of free information on topics and latest research.
41. College Board – Website to help young adults, parents, and counselors navigate through college decisions.
– Free Videos –
– Pinterest Boards –
47. Child Anxiety
I hope these free resources and materials are helpful to you and the kids you are working with! If you are a counselor looking for even more resources, consider checking out all of my free and paid resources in my store here.