Teachers are creative. It’s part of our nature and what we do every single day to help kids learn best. That’s why becoming a seller on Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT) can become a wonderful positive outlet for educators all over the world. I wish I had known about it years ago so I want to share my experience with others in hopes of inspiring someone along the way. Note: This page includes an affiliate link below, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and start a a new seller account.
Here is my own personal TpT story: In the summer of 2014, I was looking for alternative ways to earn extra money during the summer. I already tutored students but it was very limiting for me. Tutoring requires so much prep time (and yes, I’m one of the many teachers who prefer to over-prep than under-prep), so I was looking for other options. In addition, I was also seeking some type of teacher support community. I had just finished my Master’s degree and missed connecting with other teachers from all around. When I stumbled upon a link to Teachers Pay Teachers, I figured I might as well give it a try.
I made some quick freebie products and uploaded them. They were not anything special, but I learned that I really enjoyed making products and being creative. I explored the TpT site, eventually finding the TpT seller forums. These forums are the go-to place for sellers where you can ask and learn just about anything and everything. I realized I had found my community of teachers!
As a few weeks went by, I continued adding more and more products. I tried to think what other teachers could use in their classrooms to help them in the upcoming school year. Not long after, I got my first sale. I couldn’t believe it- someone actually purchased items that I myself created for other teachers! Of course, this only motivated me more. I worked tirelessly creating more and more products. It became a bit of an obsession – one that I absolutely loved! Ever since that point, TpT has been an integral part of my whole life. TpT encourages me, inspires me, and helps me grow as an educator.
Best of all, anyone can start as a seller on Teachers Pay Teachers. It’s free to start, fun to learn, and encouraging with a positive community of other teachers behind you along the way. Here are just some of my favorite reasons why being a TpT seller is such a unique and amazing experience:
- You become a better teacher. Making new educational products help you stay on the forefront of what’s working in education. Both by creating new products and seeing the products of other sellers, you are immersed in teaching ideas, curriculum, and strategies on a constant basis.
- Creating new products helps your creativity flow. This helps you create great new materials that others will purchase, but the creativity also overflows into your own classroom.
- TpT is a community. You will meet the most amazing, creative, and kind teachers who will support and encourage you along the way.
- You earn extra cash. While this isn’t the only (or main) reason for many TpT sellers, it’s fair to say that earning some extra cash for your efforts is a huge plus! First it will be coffee money, then shoe money and school supplies, and eventually (with LOTS of hard work and time) you might even be paying your rent or mortgage.
- You become a mentor to newer sellers. There is such a special feeling about helping new teacher-authors and really giving back to the community. With the TpT seller forums, you are always able to be a support to sellers just beginning their journey even soon after you’ve started your own.
If you haven’t started yet, you need to try! First, sign up for a TpT account. Then consider checking out my free TpT Seller Tips & Tricks Guide that will help you find success as a TpT seller. Whether you are completely brand new to the idea of Teachers Pay Teachers, or you’ve recently started and need some tips, this guide can help. I’m also always willing to help support new sellers with questions, thoughts, and ideas along the way. Remember that here at TpT we are a community and we are capable of great things together!